Last year, we wrote about a 16 year old boy named Cyrus who is a resident of Tunza Children's Center. In October, Cyrus made the terrible mistake of ingesting methylated spirit with juice. Luckily, we were at the center and with the help of many generous donors, we were able to cover all the costs of his hospital care and likely saved his life. Unfortunately, Cyrus is now completely blind.
This year, thanks to sponsors from Australia, Cyrus is attending a Technical School for the blind. He is learning to read and write braille and also learning the skills that he will need to live on his own. He has a great attitude, a true zest for life, despite the hard hand he has been dealt in life, and is determined to make the best of a truly difficult situation.
He will finish the technical school this November and will then start Class 8 at a school for the blind, which he was close to finishing when he lost his sight. After Class 8, he will move on to high school. He hopes to become a lawyer someday.
Last Wednesday, I (Jen) went with Cyrus as he returned for his second term of school. I took some pictures of the school and they are below. We are so grateful to everyone that donated to Uweza to help Cyrus and to his school sponsors. The support has not gone to waste. Cyrus expresses his gratitude every day and I never cease to be amazed by him.